Be a Witness for Jesus
As you recognize Christ working in your life, you will want to tell
others about Him and what He is doing for you. This can be relatively
easy when the Holy Spirit is your guide and when you have a few
Scriptures ready to share. God's Word is like a seed which, when
planted in the human heart, can bear fruit for eternal life (John
4:36). Here are a few suggestions to help you "plant the
seed" of Godís Word:
Try to make it clear that becoming a Christian involves a personal
relationship with Jesus Christ. You don't become a Christian by being
good, by doing the best you can, or by joining a church, but by
personally receiving Christ--by trusting in Him as your personal Lord
- Familiarize yourself with the Scriptures referred to on the Becoming
A Christian page. Try to memorize these verses, so that you
can quote them with confidence.
- As you read the Bible daily, underline additional verses that
you will be able to use in witnessing. Memorize as many as you
- Begin to pray for individuals with whom you might share Christ.
Trust God to provide the opportunities for you to talk with them,
and the wisdom to know what to say.
- Spend time with these friends. Win their confidence by doing
things with them and for them. If they see that you really care
about them, they will be more likely to listen when you present
the Gospel to them.
- Pray for opportunities to mention Christ in casual conversation.
For instance you might simply ask, "What do you think happens
after death?" or, "How do you think a person becomes a
Christian?" Listen to their ideas and then say, "Here's
what I believe." In giving your answer, quote Scriptures,
especially those included in this booklet.
- Take your friends to evangelistic services and discuss the
message with them afterward.
- Start a Bible class in your home and invite your non-Christian
friends. Read a chapter of the gospel of John each week. Allow
time for questions and discussion. Let the Holy Spirit speak to
people through the Word.
To find forgiveness, people must be willing to:
Give an opportunity for a response. If you sense that an individual
sees his or her need, you might ask:
- Admit they are sinners in need of forgiveness.
- Turn from their sin.
- Believe that Jesus Christ died to save them from a life of sin
and an eternity of separation from God.
- Receive Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior, and
commit their lives to Him.
Discuss Revelation 3:20 and John 1:12 (mentioned earlier). Point out
- Have you ever received Christ as your personal Lord and Savior?
- Would you like to do so, right now?
Lead the person step-by-step through the following suggested prayer:
- Christ stands at the door of your heart, knocking.
- Christ will come in if He is invited.
- When He does come in, you will become a child of God.
I know that I am a sinner and need your forgiveness. I believe that
Christ died in my place, paying the penalty for my sin. I am willing
to turn from my sin. I now invite Jesus Christ to come into my heart
and life as my personal Savior. I am willing, by your help, to
follow and obey Christ as the Lord of my life. Amen.